11/12/08

What is it like to be a bat? I know it's a strange question, but I assure you it's relevant. So, what is it like? Can you imagine it? I doubt it. I can't even imagine it. I've tried and failed each time.

When I try to imagine what it would be like to be a bat, I think about being in the body of a bat. Rather, I imagine I'm blind and I have excellent hearing and can fly and like mosquitoes more than pizza. But, I'm limited in that I can only imagine what it would be like for Curtis the human to be a bat. I've never been Curtis the bat. And, I have no frame of reference from which to draw any sort of inference about what it's like to be a bat.

The problem is consciousness. It is obvious that organisms have physical properties and observable behaviors. Properties and behaviors can be described with a universal sort of clarity we refer to as objectivity. But, consciousness is not such an objective property. In fact, I believe consciousness to be an entirely subjective character of experience. I can describe in depth what a bat does. I can describe in depth what physical properties a bat has. But, I am at a total loss of words to describe what it is like to be a bat to that bat.

Consciousnesses are entirely subjective and unique reference frames through which the world is experienced. I think that consciousness and the mind are linked. Maybe consciousness is the mind...
--Question originally posed by Thomas Nagel in Philosophical Review--

Along the same subject, think about Mary the brilliant neuroscientist. Mary has spent the entirety of her past life in a black and white library. In this library, everything is black and white. Everything Mary has learned about neuroscience has, up to this point, been supplied by a black and white TV and the myriad of books in the library. Mary has recently become absolutely fascinated with tomatoes. She knows that a ripe tomato is round, shiny and red. She knows everything there is to know about the physical characteristics of tomatoes and how to make them grow. Though she has never seen red, has never even seen a color that is not black or white or gray, Mary knows the exact frequency that light must vibrate with in order to produce red. 

Today, 5 minutes ago actually, someone unlocked the door to the outside, took Mary by the hand, and brought her to a garden. It was there that, for the first time, Mary saw a ripe tomato.

Did Mary learn anything new?
--Question originally posed by Frank Jackson in The Journal of Philosophy LXXXIII--

If there is something about the experience of seeing red (namely, what it's like) that Mary learns, then the experience is not completely explained by the physical facts alone. I believe that the "what it's like" is the essence of the mind. I know of no better way to convey my impressions about the mind than to point to experience.

Maybe you're wondering, "This is all great, but why should Christians care?" Scripture can answer that.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." -Matt. 22:36-37

It seems pretty hard to love God with your mind if you don't have an understanding of what the mind is. Though I believe the Bible is the most complete resource for insight about truth, I'd never heard a satisfactory explanation of the nature of the mind until I expanded my search for truth into other philosophical texts. This may be alarming to those Christians who feel like the Bible is the only credible source of truth. But, it's not. If God is the God of truth. Then, all truth everywhere is ours. 

Paul was well aware of this. When he was ministering to the Athenians he said, "For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' "-Acts 17:28 For Paul to have known what the poets of the day said, he must have read them. That's kind of like a Christian today gleaning truth from something by Eminem. I know the idea's a little weird, but that's the kind of God I serve. All truth is His. Justin Martyr, a Christian philosopher said, "What anybody has said about the truth belongs to us, the Christians." The fact is, if there is any truth anywhere in the universe that does not fit into the philosophy and lifestyle outlined in the Bible, then Jesus was not the Christ.

I believe that Jesus was and is the Christ. I believe that all truth everywhere is mine. And, I believe that Frank Jackson was onto something. It makes sense that the nature of the mind is the experience, the "what it's like". It fits with the Scriptures.

Based on my Biblical research, I think the "heart" that the authors refer to could also be called "beliefs and desires". I think that the "soul" could be called "ability to choose" or "morality". If what I think is right, then Matt. 22:36-37 could be read something like this:

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your beliefs and desires by being as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Love the Lord by choosing to refrain from what is wrong and to strive for what is righteous. Love the Lord by keeping a high standard of morality. And, love the Lord by actually doing what is good. Then, you'll be able to tell others what it's like"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Objections?